The Hodgins Family
Dear Sequoya Families,
I have difficult news to share with you. Mrs. Hodgins’ husband, Dr. Gary Hodgins, a former Sequoya teacher and father to two lovely daughters at Sequoya passed away on Saturday. At this time, we have no details to share with you regarding his death.
Dr. Hodgins and Mrs. Hodgins have a long history at Sequoya. They met while teaching fifth grade at Sequoya, started dating at the urging of many teachers, and subsequently married. Dr. Hodgins left Sequoya two years ago for a dream position in another district but was still a frequent presence on the Sequoya campus. The entire Sequoya community will miss him dearly.
The Hodgins family is devastated by the news and the Sequoya family is as well. Our thoughts are with the Hodgins family and friends during this sad time. At this time they are requesting privacy to work through this devastating event. Dr. Hodgins touched many lives at Sequoya. Mrs. Leiper, Assistant Principal, Miss Planck, school psychologist, and district counselors will be available for any students who may wish to talk to a counselor.
We all have our own way of dealing with sad news, so here are some things to help you and your child during this difficult situation.
- Encourage your child to feel and talk about their emotions. Let them know it is okay to feel sad, angry, confused, or even to feel nothing at all.
- Reassure your child that they are safe and secure.
- Explain truthfully, but gently, what has happened.
- Offer warmth, affection and your physical presence.
- Maintain the routine, stability and security in your child’s life as much as possible.
- Listen. Listen. Listen.
Bridget Braney, Ed.D.
Sequoya Elementary School
If you would like to share a note with the family, click here for some options.